I do love a Mary Berry recipe – I must admit I have yet to try this one out, but have heard great things! Plus you can buy your sausage meat from us at Hinton Marsh Farm. We hold a farmers market on Saturday in Stroud, and we are at the Swindon Designer outlet every Sunday.
Super quick and easy! Takes about 30mins to prepare
butter, for greasing
6 large dried lasagne sheets
75g/2¾oz mature Cheddar cheese, grated
For the pork and spinach sauce
1 tbsp oil
450g/1lb pork sausage meat
1 tbsp plain flour
1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
2 fat garlic cloves, crushed
250g/9oz chestnut mushrooms, sliced
200ml/7fl oz full-fat crème fraîche
100g/3½oz baby spinach, roughly chopped
salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the tomato sauce
500g/1lb 2oz passata
2 tbsp sun-dried tomato paste
1 tsp light muscovado sugar
1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme leaves
1 tbsp chopped fresh sage
- Preheat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6. Grease the ovenproof dish with butter.
- Soak the lasagne sheets in recently boiled warm water to soften while you prepare the two sauces.
- For the pork and spinach sauce, heat the oil in a large, non-stick frying pan. Add the sausage meat and brown over a high heat for 5–10 minutes until golden-brown, breaking up the mince with two wooden spoons. Sprinkle in the flour and fry for a minute.
- Add the chilli, garlic and mushrooms and fry for about 5 minutes. Stir in the crème fraîche and spinach. Bring to the boil and allow to bubble for a couple of minutes. Season well with salt and pepper and set aside.
- For the tomato sauce, mix all the ingredients together in a jug or bowl and season well with salt and pepper.
- Drain the lasagne sheets.
- Spoon one-third of the spinach sauce into the base of the ovenproof dish. Spoon one-third of the tomato sauce on top and arrange half the lasagne sheets over the tomato sauce. Repeat using two more layers of spinach and tomato sauce and one of lasagne sheets. Sprinkle over the grated cheese.
- Bake for 30–35 minutes, or until the pasta is tender and the top of the dish is golden-brown and bubbling around the edges. Serve immediately.