I have never baked a lemon drizzle cake before and a saw this recipe on the TV last weekend. Mary Berry used 1tbsp of finely chopped lemon verbena – but unfortunately my local shop didn’t stock this! It is an optional ingredient anyway. I made mine into a sponge and filled it with a basic butter cream recipe.
- 225g baking spread
- 225g caster sugar
- 275g SR Flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 4 free range eggs
- 4tbsp milk
- 2 lemons, zest only
For the glaze:
- 175g granulated sugar
- 2 lemons, juice only
- Preheat oven to 180c/160c fan
- Grease either a tray 30x23cm or two sandwich tins
- Measure all the ingredients into a large bowl as beat for 2 mins
- Turn the mixture into the prepared tins and level the top. Bake for 35-40mins
- Meanwhile make the glaze. Mix the granulated sugar with the lemon juice and stir until a runny consistency
- If making a cake prepare a basic butter cream too.
- Leave the sponge to cool for 5mins then brush over the glaze and it will set as the cake cools
- If making a tray bake slice into square and serve. If making a sandwich, layer one sponge with butter cream and place the other sponge on top.