So when I asked my boyfriend what do you want me to bake you for your birthday I got this reply!
Using a good jam and sprinkling fresh raspberries on the base made a great touch to the finished Tart!
For the pastry:
- 100g plain white flour
- 50g unsalted butter
- 1tbsp caster sugar
- 1 free range egg yolk
For the filling:
- 100g unsalted butter
- 109g caster sugar
- 2 large eggs – beaten
- 100g white self raising flour
- 50g ground almonds
- 3-4drops almond extract
- 2tbsp raspberry conserve
- Handful of fresh raspberries
- 25g flaked almonds
Takes about 1 hour from start to finish.
- Make the pastry first. Rub the butter into the flour and then stir in the sugar, and egg yolk. Add a little cold water until a stiff dough consistency is achieved. Wrap in cling film and chill for 30mins
- Preheat oven to 190′
- Prepare the filling by mixing together the butter, sugar, eggs, flour, ground almonds, and almond extract.
- Roll out the chilled pastry very thin and line a 20cm loose based metal tart tin. Press down firmly. Spread the conserve over the pastry base and scatter the fresh raspberries. Finally pour over the almond filing. Level the surface and sprinkle the flaked almonds.
- Bake for about 25mins.
- Once the sponge is cooked let the tart rest for a while in the tin.
- Enjoy warm with ice cream, cream or custard, or cold with a cuppa!